U20s, Engine Swaps, and rear ends

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: U20s, Engine Swaps, and rear ends
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:37:38 -0800
Hey All,

I have enjoyed watching the debate about engine swaps and also about some of
the rear end info that is coming to light. I also agree with Stan Chernoff
that the U20 engine should be used in some circumstances (such as my 67.5
2000) but in other situations a swap could be very useful and cost saving.

The U20 engine is very robust if maintained and the cylinder head is great
for its free flowing ports. Yes, timing sets are expensive but you can still
get them and I think that for some people it is the right thing to do. I am
thinking that while SR20DET swaps are very impressive, I would personally go
for a L series swap. How much horsepower do you need in a 2000 lb. car? I
guess because I am 40 I have moved into the time when 200 horses in a two
seater scares me a little. My 150 will be more than enough for me.

One thing I noted on the 311s.org forum is that someone posted that 84-85
RX7 rear ends can be modified for a roadster and allow LSD and rear discs
for about the same cost as a Nissan LSD. I would never do that on my 67.5
2000 but might give some hope to those who want to race or are looking for
better performance. Anyone heard of this swap?

Mandatory 67.5 2000 restoration update:

Engine is now being rebuilt. Frame will be rolling as soon as rubber gets
put on wheels. March is going to be a busy month as is April. Stay tuned for
pics and updates!

Andrew Murphy
1967.5 2000 Solex SRL311-00489
1964 1500