Re: not charging...

To: Roadster Dude <roadstrdude@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: not charging...
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 23:42:48 -0700
Raul,

With the engine running, measure the voltage at battery connection on the rear
of the alternator, or
across the battery posts.  It should be around 14 to 14.6 volts.  As long as it
is above about 13.5
volts it is trying to charge.  If the voltage is 11.5 to 12 volts your
alternator is not charging.  It
is not even trying.

If the alternator is not charging check the voltage on the excitation lead
coming from the regulator.
If there is no voltage on this lead the alternator cannot generate any current
to charge your battery.
Assuming the wiring is good this could be a regulator problem, or an internal
alternator problem.

As to your ammeter not moving, is the ammeter any good?  It is not unheard of
to find that the ammeter
has become a rather expensive fuse and is no longer passing any current  When
you turn your headlights
on with the engine off  the ammeter should go to the discharge side.  In my
case it moves almost all of
the way to the discharge limit because of the high power headlights.  If the
ammeter needle does not
move you may have a dead ammeter, which could prevent your battery from
charging.

The alternator is not effected by the instrument regulator.  That is not your
problem.

If all else fails, take the alternator back to the seller and have them test
it.  It is not unheard of
for a rebuilt alternator to fail too.

Tom
69 2000