Gas tank and trunk floor cracking

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Gas tank and trunk floor cracking
From: "sidney raper" <spl310@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 23:13:12 -0400
I know that the trunk floor cracking is fairly common in Roadsters.  From
what I have seen, the cracking usually manifests itself at the rear of the
trunk floor rather than the front.  Since I had to swap out gas tanks, I
solved that problem for my car.  My gas tank is suspended in the rear by the
frame now.  It was pretty simple.  Just drill a couple of holes across from
the reinforcement that the J hooks normally hook into.  Flip the J hooks
over and put them into the new holes in the frame, and voila!  New mounting
points!  There is another benefit.  When the straps are tightened, they will
move past the lip of the frame.  If the J bolt dies, then the lip of the
frame may help keep the tank from becoming a huge Molotov Coctail being
dragged behind the car...

Sidney Raper
1964 1500
1967 SRL311 00060