culprit found! engine in!

To: "Autox \(E-mail\)" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: culprit found! engine in!
From: "Paul Bauman" <plhbauman@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 17:40:09 -0700
Sounds like Hemmingway, huh? Well, I tried.

The engine and trans are back in the beast. All that remains is a lot of
bolt tightening and leak testing tomorrow. I put the little devil back in by
myself today, as my son Mark was at work and it looked liked rain (still
does!). Let's see, last time there were six of us to install, then Mark and
I pulled it out again on Saturday, then just me for the reinstall. I'm
looking forward to the day when the silly thing will remove and install
itself :)

The part that broke was a shaft in the gear housing. I was told by Bill
Meyers, who was instrumental in helping me do the repairs today, that this
particular shaft prevents the transmission from shifting into more than one
gear at a time. It snapped right in two--quite silently, I might add--right
where that little spring-loaded ballsometer holds in into the transmission
case. I pulled apart a doner transmission, generously loaned to me by Jon
Frampton. Bill put the new shaft back in and she shifts again!!!

One step closer to Solvang, roadster-style.

Paul Bauman
Westminster, CA
67 1600