Re: Tensioner play? & top bracket?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tensioner play? & top bracket?
From: Tomet9@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 20:09:19 EDT
Hi List,

   I was doing a valve adjustment yesterday, and while I had the cover off
took a peek down the front end. My tensioner stem(the shiney part is about
visible by about 1/4 inch at rest. Is this a sign of excessive wear? Am I do
for a timing chain and tensioner replacement soon? I do not have the rattle
to speak of yet. I do not have a manual and would appreciate a few words of
encouragement.
  Also I noticed a bracket that just hangs at the top area with a whole in it
about the cam sprocket, is this just a spot to hang the sprocket when
fiddling with the chains?
  Awaiting response from the experts.

                          Thanks, Tom Prather