RE: steering box needle bearings

To: "Curtis Yamauchi" <curtyam@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: steering box needle bearings
From: "Tom Hendricksen" <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 06:18:31 -0700
Curtis,

In the late 60's when I pulled wrench for a man named Bill Stevens on his D
Sports racer with a Mercury outboard laying flat we had to figure out how to
put all of those needle bearings in to form the crank bearings.  We used a
light coating of grease on the race and "glued" the needles in that way.

BTW, that car was so loud that NOBODY wanted to pit anywhere near us.
Starting it the first time after an engine rebuild was an interesting sight.
It would not fire with all that grease in the fuel (on a Merc two stroke the
fuel is drawn past the crankshaft), so we would put the car on the street at
about midnight, put a rope on the roll bar, and use another car to pull the
racecar until it fired and ran, then go as quickly as possible around the
block and get that very loud car (3 near vertical megaphones for exhaust
stacks) into the garage and get the garage lights out before the police
cruised by to check out the complaints.  Fortunately we did not do this too
often.

During the pulling stage of starting the car the three vertical exhaust
stacks blew pure fire straight up as the grease was washed out by the
gas/oil mixture coming through the crankcase.  Once the grease was washed
out the car would start.  It took most of a block to get it running.  It
made quite a light show in the dark.

Tom
69 2000 "Mr. Hyde"
Portland, OR