Was: Spark? now Mud-Daubers!

To: "Fred Schroeder" <roadster2@texoma.net>
Subject: Was: Spark? now Mud-Daubers!
From: Marc Tyler <marc@animalfirm.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 08:40:37 -0500
Thanks Fred and everybody for the help with this.  I checked one of the
plugs and it was black and wet.  I then had a dim memory of a post from
Pat Horne or Tom Walter about wasps plugging fuel overflow.  I pulled
the tubes off the  overflow outlets at the fuel bowls and it started
right up and ran like a top!  I tried to blow through the tubes, and
sure enough, plugged.  I guess this forced a flooding situation.

The creature in question is a dark metallic blue wasp (It would make a
great Roadster color)  They love 1/4 inch holes. I discovered when I
had the engine out a while back that 1/4 inch bolt holes or anything
else for that matter would get plugged with Caliche, a fine white clay
found around here.  What they do is lay their eggs in the hole, then go
out and stun small insects and spiders with their sting and stuff them
in with the eggs, finally plugging the hole with clay.  The eggs hatch
and the larva feed on the still living but paralyzed bugs in there with
them.  Right out of Alien or something!   So for now we're good to go
and thanks again folks! If it werent for this list who knows what kind
of state my little 1600 would be in (non-running, most likely)

-Marc T.