To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Responses to the Transmission question & Pictures of 64
From: "Jon and Maggie" <jm.rider@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 20:20:17 -0700
Hi Everyone,

I'm just getting to today's list and I see my use of metrics and US stds has
become a subject of discussion.  With regard to it's size - it is between 3/16
and 1/4 of an inch.  Sorry for the confusion.

I also wanted to say Thanks!  Based on all of the responses, I believe I'm
going to wait and deal with this problem when I have to pull the engine for
the next clutch replacement.  I think Jim William's note summed up the general
consensus from the list (but there were some other interesting conclusions
too).  I have pasted his note below.

Jon:
That ball is probably the ball that locks the speedometer drive gear to the
tailshaft inside the rear of your transmission. Nissan used a small ball to
lock several of the gears and the speedo gear to the shafts. The speedo drive
gear has 2 parts, a screw type gear locked to the tailshaft, and a
cooresponding gear that slides into the tranny where the speedo cable hooks
up.  You may want to pull the speedo gear out of the side of the tranny and
slowly rotate the tail shaft...  slide a long screw driver into the side of
the tranny. Hold lightly against the internal speedo gear... if it stops
turning, then you probably have found the source of your ball bearing...
Everything else in the tranny is probably ok, so wait to do any other
repairs...

Jim Williams
68  2000
Scottsdale, AZ

I can test this theory pretty easily too - essentially, it means that even
though my speedometer doesn't work now - my cable should still be good as it
is not the problem (like I had originally thought).  I'm going to get to it
this weekend.

Also, several days ago I sent in a description of a 64 roadster that I had
personally looked at and thought might have interest to the team.  I mentioned
that I had pictures and there have been a few requests.  Tom Hendricksen sent
a note to me indicating that he was willing to put the on the web for me
(thanks Tom).  I have attached his note as well.

I posted your pictures.  You can see them at

http://www.fransfancies.com/datsun

Choose the FOR SALE link in the left and you will see the For Sale page with
the link to this car.

The pictures are very nice.  I would like this car, but I have the same female
problems you have.

Tom

I had to smile at Tom's last comment.  Seems I'm not alone here.  I have a lot
of toys though and my wife is pretty darn good to me - I really have no right
to complain - I get my fair share of play time in, that is for sure.

With Warm Regards,

Jon
'69 2000
Bothell, WA