RE: 65 1500 brake question

To: "'James M Koken'" <james.m.koken@gte.net>,
Subject: RE: 65 1500 brake question
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 12:58:33 +0930
Hi Mike,
from what you say, it appears that the front cylinders may be
stuck/siezed.
In which case you will only get 50% braking from the fronts at best.
Both the front cylinders, in each wheel should move simultaneously
when hydraulic pressure is applied.
This requires the bridging hose to be intact of course and all air
bled from the system.
You could try clamping the good slaves to prevent them expanding and
pumping the pedal to try and break the stuck ones free, but
in my experience, I reckon the inoperative ones are well and truly
siezed.
If you have an air compressor/footpump, you could dismount them and
try to loosen up the pistons by pumping into the fluid entry hole.
MAKE SURE YOU PREVENT THE PISTON FROM LAUNCHING ITSELF UNCONTROLLABLY
ACROSS THE PLANET.
If they do break free, then you can inspect, clean and re-kit as
required.
I know from experience a new master cyl. (brake or clutch) will
inevitably cause the downstream slaves pain and they end up going
leaky within weeks.
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 - under construction DSOA Member # 112
1971 P510 4 door - daily driver, original owner, highly modified.
1972 PL510 2 door - in storage.
1973 HS30/240Z - re-building to 2003 specs.
www.imagestation.com/mypictures/index.html
Adelaide, South Australia.