RE: 69 srl 311 2000 windshield removal

To: <remfender@earthlink.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 69 srl 311 2000 windshield removal
From: "Tom Hendricksen" <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 08:44:37 -0700
Ron,

Removing the windshield is not hard.  I might suggest a little Windex, 409,
or thick soapy water as a lubricant as you are working.  A friend shot WD-40
on mine, but that is a bit messy to clean up later.  You do not need to
remove the chrome.  It would probably be helpful to have the seats out of
your way too.

You will need a couple of putty knives.  The kind sold for applying
wallboard mud are good.  1-2" seemed to work well.  Metal will work too, but
I prefer plastic.

Now start from the interior side at the top center of the windshield.  Work
the putty knife between the rubber and the windshield frame.  Once the first
putty knife is in, insert the second a few inches away and start tipping the
rubber gasket down and towards the front side of the windshield frame.  Keep
working the putty knives towards the outside corner, and then down the sides
as far as you can.  The more of the rubber ring you get released from the
windshield frame, the easier it will be to work with.  You might need some
additional putty knives, or other thin tools to keep the rubber from coming
back at first by inserting the tool between the rubber and the windshield
frame.

Once you are half-way or so down the sides you should be able to stand up in
the car and lift the windshield up out of the frame by yourself, or better
yet, have a friend help with the final lift from the sides of the car.

I am still waiting to put a windshield in, but I am told it is a reversal of
this process.  I removed the windshield from my parts car in about 15
minutes of learning how to make the putty knives work for me.  It is waiting
to go into my car when I finally get around to painting the car.

Tom
69 2000 "Mr. Hyde"
Portland, OR