1. Gauges: fuel and temp reading low; 2. EI and diagnostic

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: 1. Gauges: fuel and temp reading low; 2. EI and diagnostic
From: "Allen Blackmon" <orangedawg@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 17:07:11 +0000
To List,

1.  As I continue to try to get this car running reliably (is that
possible?) on the road, I note that my temp and fuel gauges seem to read
low.  The fuel gauge maxes out at 3/4 and the temp reading never gets above
1/2.  The car is a 1970 2000 that has just been rebuilt.  It has Solex carbs
and the comp oil pan (7.5 quarts, I think), plus the fan block so the 4
blade fan is always turning.  It has a 180 degree thermostat in it and a new
temp sender as well.  The car runs well and with the above, it should run
failry cool, I think.  It does not overheat.  When I drive it, it reads
about 130-140 degrees.  When I park the car and let it sit after driving, it
will get up to 1/2, which is about 180, correct?

BTW, the current weather here is mid 80's, if that helps.  (Supposed to be
low 90's today)!!

Could the temp/fuel regulator "thing" be bad?  If it was bad, would I get
any readings?  Anything else to consider?  I'm not overly concerned, but I
would like my gauges to give close to accurate readings.

2.  I am also trying to set up my Solex carbs.  I've got my tach/dwell
meter.  I've also got Gary's EI.  Is there a particualr way to set this up?
I think on my old points/condensor set up, I put the green (at least on my
meter) lead on the negative post on the coil and the other lead on the
battery.  Does the EI change how I set it up?

I would also love to come to Troutdale this weekend and see all of you, but
alas, I have to bartend a wedding reception.

Allen
1970 2000 #13774
Wenatchee, WA