clutch questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: clutch questions
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 12:04:31 -0700
I destroyed the new throwout bearing and pressure plate in my PL411.  OK,
it's not a Roadster, I know, but the question should be similar to a
Roadster...

Anyway, the throwout bearing is frozen and was actually pushed back and/or
ground away as it spun, and it also ate some of the pressure plate fingers
away a bit so I'm going to replace the whole clutch set.  My concern is
that maybe I assembled something wrong as I had trouble getting the
throwout bearing collar back on the fork.  I've got the transmission
out.  The fork has a small spring on the back that holds it to the
"withdrawal lever", a ball-ended bolt that the fork pivots on.  However,
there is a great deal of play in this spring, so the fork can move away
from the withdrawal lever when not being pressed.

Should the clutch fork be held tight against that ball-ended bolt at all times?

Adam Bradley
'70 Datsun 1600 Roadster SPL311-28181
'66 Datsun PL411 sedan PL411-022447