LZ-22 vs. R-16

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: LZ-22 vs. R-16
From: "Steve Guthrie" <wildplaces@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:27:22 -0700
Hey list,

I'm agonizing over whether to stroke my R-16, or install a "breathed on"
LZ-22.  Either way it's a complete rebuild, bore, polish and port head, etc.
I have some of the needed parts for R-16, and will use the 40mm Webers that I
have on either engine.  I have quite a bit of experience with the Datsun L
motors.  I had several 510's in the 1980's while I was working at a Datsun
dealership.  I am looking at a cost vs. power and reliability, as well as
parts availability.  In the favor of the L series motors is the ease and
relatively low cost of a 5 speed trans.  Originality is not a big concern to
me, as I will be installing comp. suspension, Volvo brakes, etc.  If I could
get some feedback, and experiences from list members I would really appreciate
it.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Guthrie, 1969 1600