PCV valve

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: PCV valve
From: bob_wilson@agilent.com
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:39:40 -0600
How important is a PCV valve?  When rebuilding my '70 1600, I removed the
vacuum controlled thing (was that a PCV valve) and did not put it back. Instead
I simply vented the port on the valve cover through a hose which hangs down
next to the engine and is open to the air under the car.

I do see smoke (gas or oil, I'm not sure) periodically coming out of the
exhaust pipe when using the engine to slow the car on steep downhill grades.
Could this have anything to do with the (lack of) PCV valve?

Bob Wilson
1970 Datsun 1600 Roadster