Replacing the upper chain (U-20)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Replacing the upper chain (U-20)
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:31:21 -0700
As a preventative measure, I'd like to replace the upper chain on
my U-20.

CAVEAT: Piecemeal replacement is of course NOT the proper way
to do things, but at the $$$$$ to 'do it right', options have become
limited.

That said, my two questions:
1) If I replace just the chain and not the gears, will the used gears
chew up the new chain? Many times, parts wear in together and
replacing just one will cause a failure. So am I better off leaving
things alone?

2) If putting a new chain onto used gears is OK (and I'm not convinced
it is), is there a 'master link' and could I pop it, attach the end of the
new chain to the end of the old chain and carefully 'roll' the new chain
into the engine without any disassembly?

3) If so, has anyone actually successfully done it?

-- John
        14 days 'til Shasta