Restoration woes

To: datsun roadster mailist <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Restoration woes
From: Hoon Kim <hoon@pixar.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 15:11:08 -0700
Okay I've finally saved up a few dollars and really want to brighten up
my roadster. I went to get an estimate at a friend's uncle's paint
place that does really great work.

Here is what I have and what I need done.

early 67 1600
The engine is finally running real well, though I need to fine tune
some carb and mixture settings, other than that it starts up fine and
runs great. The tranny however is not in such great shape. My original
one broke down and I put in my backup tranny, which doesn't hook up to
any of my gauges, has no bushing to keep the actual shifter in place so
is really loose (but stays in gear), and second gear is very hard to
engage leading me to come off a stop then roll for a while revving the
engine. My original tranny lost it's first gear, but it seems that all
the other gears are fine.

Question 1) how hard and around how much is it to rebuild just the 1st
gear, or should I rebuild the whole tranny. (I don't have either the
space, tools, or time to really do it myself.)

Now to the real part. I got an estimate to get my whole roadster, which
has some rust underbody around the door and the wheel wells, and a
small crack around the left front fender. The shop said they would get
rid of all the rust and patch up repairs as needed, paint the entire
car, engine bay, under the hood, rims, and rollbar. Early estimate
without opening a can of worms is $4-6k. This is just the body work and
not including rechroming. I also have an interior kit that I need to
install but wanted to paint it first.

Question 2) is it worth it to spend that much because they will also
get body work done, or is it better to start shopping around for a more
complete car with paint and interior in good shape. Is it worth it for
the $4-6k that I'll spend plus selling my roadster to get a $6-8k one
instead (if there is one). Since I don't have a time limit and have
seen a few decent ones for sale I could go that route, but open up a
completely different set of worms. (again I don't have the time, space,
tools to get a parts car and doing both).

any suggestions?

Hoon Kim
'67 1600 (early)
'64 wpl312 bluebird wagon