Re:"Soap Box Time" (was) Front Brakes "Leak Free" (was) Re:

To: Bob Winslade <bubwin@mts.net>
Subject: Re:"Soap Box Time" (was) Front Brakes "Leak Free" (was) Re:
From: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 10:44:59 -1000
Thanks for your comments, Bob.

I realize that suggesting anything less than optimal work or materials on brake
systems, is akin to an attack on "mother and apple pie", but it's also relevant
to assess the potential consequence of anything that is done using other than
brand new OEM materials.

In this case I have made that assessment.  The worse I can conceive of, is that
the matter of my front system again developing a leak, requiring my further
attention.  I cannot envision *anything* in what I've done which would result
in a catastrophic failure in a panic stop.  Can you hypothesize a manner in
which refurbishing the cylinders in the way I'm doing them could cause such a
failure?

I'm relatively confident that what I've done will be leak free, and if not,
I'll be no worse than back where I started (adding a little fluid every week or
so).

I have experienced one case of catastrophic brake failure in 54 years; my
roadster with the original factory brakes, had the plastic jackets on front
caliper piping.  Glad they did go to the dual system in 67.5!

Dave

Bob Winslade wrote:

> Many automotive tool companies sell cylinder hones for reconditioning brake
> calipers and wheel cylinders.  The emery cloth works well on the caliper
> pistons, but only use the fine grits.  When machining the bores, or
> polishing brake pistons be sure to use brake fluid as the lubricant.  If you
> use anything else, and you don't get it completely rinsed out, whatever
> remains will shorten the life of the seals if it's not compatable with the
> seals.  Brake fluid obviously won't.  (I worked as a mechanic for 15+ years)
>
> Soap Box time.  If you are repairing any vehicle on a budget, DO NOT cut
> corners or try to save a couple bucks on the brake components.  They are the
> single most important system on the vehicle.
>
> Just think,
> Cheap stereo.  Lousy sound
> Cheap soft top.  Might get wet
> Cheap engine rebuild/trans work/clutch.  Might get stranded
> Cheap body work.  Appearance compromised
> CHEAP BRAKE JOB.  When you need it most, in a panic, hope it works or
> someone DIES!!!!!
>
> Bob
> 1966 1600
> 1970 510 4 door Ice Racer

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
Brake jig - closeup]

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
Brake cyls. 4 plus kits & pipes]