Re: [OT]Nissan Fork Lift Motor Question

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [OT]Nissan Fork Lift Motor Question
From: James Ross <jross@corporatemontage.com>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 11:14:07 +0800
Hi Mark,
unfortunatly most h20's use dished pistons, and when used with an r16
head the compression is always  low (which is good for the lead free
fuels i guess or if you want to wack a turbo on it ;)
The smaller combustion chamber on the 1500 head does wonders for the
compressoin. The valve sizes between the r16 and g15 are not that
different, and finding/making solex manifolds for R has always been
difficult, remembering that none of our 2000's in oz ever came out with
hitatchi's. We only got the 150hp version.

The 1500 head/carb combination was offered simply because when you find
a G15 head, you oftern find a set of carbs to go with it, but sure, any
hitatchi's can be used.

If you want to replace the standard pistons in the h20 with flat tops,
then the r16 head can be used. From my experience, if you are looking
for a simple/cheap bolt together package, the g15 head will out perform
the r16 simply because the compression is that much higher. If on the
other hand you are doing a full rebuild of the h20 with flat tops et al,
then the r16 head may do better, but i have never seen it done. And i
simply prefer cast iron heads :)
Take care,
James