Weber Questions

To: "Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net"
Subject: Weber Questions
From: "Tom@Datsun2000.com" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:28:24 -0700
Well I have been to Ogden, Utah and picked up Number 5, or Barney as my
daughter dubbed the purple car.  My thanks to Rich for the loan of his
trailer.  It made the towing job very easy.

This car was on eBay a few weeks ago.  In some ways it is very nice, and in
others there is room for improvement.  The biggest problem I have is the
40DCOE side-draft Weber carb mounted on a Cannon manifold.  It will not
allow the L16 engine to run much above idle.  It idle it sounds very nice,
and when I have coaxed it to something around 1500 RPM all sounds very nice
too.

I disassembled the carb and soaked it in carb cleaner to get the 5 year-old
gas out of the passages.  Now that it is clean it at least looks better.
However it does not run much better.

The engine starts very easily and idles smoothly, but it seems to be getting
too much fuel, and the plugs, especially 2 & 3 run wet.  1 and 4 run dry
black.  I played with adjustments about mid-length down the side of the carb
body and it seems to have helped gain a few RPM when the adjustments are
quite a ways out.  Also the choke must be at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the travel.
The car will not run if the choke is off.  At least I assume that the choke
is off when the knob is pushed in and the control wire pushes the choke arm
to the far end of its travel away from the choke cable mount on the carb
body.

Is this a jetting issue where the carb is just overwhelming the L16 engine?
If so any idea which jet(s) I should start with?  There is one jet in the
bottom of the fuel bowl (floats do float and close the needle).   Everything
else is duplicated on each side of the carb.  Or is there a possible problem
with air entering somewhere?  I think I have all of the O rings back where
they belong.  At least one was missing on a needle when I started.

Tom
69 2000
68 1600/L16
Portland