Re: TIMING

To: Richard Hugi <richard@tntarch.com>
Subject: Re: TIMING
From: "ambradley@frontiernet.net" <ambradley@frontiernet.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:49:01 -0400
There is nothing with numbers.  There are grooves in the crankshaft
pulley that signify TDC and a few other positions, and you have to get
it about where it belongs (16 BTDC for non-smog Roadsters).  If yours
is an early Roadster, the cast fin is probably it.  If it's a late
Roadster, there should be a welded on metal piece that protrudes, but
again there are no numbers, and only one thing on the timing cover.
The engine turns clockwise (correct me if I'm wrong here) and the first
timing mark is usually 20 BTDC, then 15 BTDC, 10BTDC, then a larger gap
to the mark for TDC.  Again, I might be wrong, but you'll be able to
tell by looking at the space between marks.