Re: oil spray bar on U20 question

To: "C. Halsted" <chalsted@adelphia.net>,
Subject: Re: oil spray bar on U20 question
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:35:48 -0500
> Craig Halstad:

> I was yanking the drivetrain out of a ratty old rusty 2000 yesterday and
> noticed there was a fitting plumbed into the back of the head and a "T"
> fitting off the block where that oil pressure line attaches that has the
> wire wound around it... there's a hard line goes from the "T" fitting up to
> the back of the head... would this be some way to get additional oiling to
> the camshaft? haven't seen a setup like this before. he'd put all new timing
> stuff on the car and had the head done and then came up with small metal
> particles in the oil and that's how I bought it over 10 years ago. time to
> snarf out all that nice new timing stuff :-) can use it to finish building
> the engine for SRL311-00496 which I hope to have on the road by spring.
> 00569 heads off to the shop this weekend to get the bodywork and paint done.
> engine already done on this one. 00525 is tentatively sold, guy's in France
> on business and will be giving me a deposit when he returns next week. 00496
> is being built as a red Solex car, 00569 will be a silver SU car.

A cam spray bar is fairly common on L-motors, race varieties anyway. At
least the early 240Z/L-24 came with them and many were cut and adapted to
L-4s since I don't think the blank cam billets were set up for internal
oiling or some such. The spray bars also increased high rev cam longevity.

I used to have all of that on the tip of my brain. Don Oldenburg (Design
Products in Huntington Beach?) currently makes a spray bar kit for the L-4
which is available from him or via the M/S catalog. Figure I'll be spending
a ton with Mr. Oldenburg to finish the race 510 once the roadster's at the
point I want it for a while and we get started on the house.

Now if I can just figure out where the fourth fastener holding the water
pump on the roadster is located I can get the pump off and then I'll tackle
the manifolds again with the flex head ratcheting wrench set that I picked
up today.

Later,
Ron