RE: Got the Head off!!!! Check out the Pics.

To: <Keith0alan@aol.com>, <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Got the Head off!!!! Check out the Pics.
From: "Daniel Neuman" <neuman@radonc17.ucsf.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 12:29:17 -0800
Hi Keith,

            You mean look at the underside of the piston with the gouges?
Would that not entail removing the piston from the engine?  Yikes more scary
engine work..You think that a competent machine shop can smooth the head
area around the valve and still make it work???

            Daniel Neuman

            Oakland CA

            69 2000

Daniel,

    Doesn't really look that bad. A couple of new valves and seats, a little
smoothing on the head and piston and it should be in pretty good shape.
Check the inside of the piston crown for any bulging or cracks. It it's just
surface damage smoothing off the rough edges should take care of it. I had a
little Renault that sucked a throttle screw. I pried it out of the head,
smoother out the gouge and it ran fine for a long time.

keith