Re: Pinion Nut Specs.

To: "Chris Davies" <fairlady_67@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Pinion Nut Specs.
From: "mike" <twobeaners@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 17:45:12 -0600
Hi, Chris,
My Clymer and Chilton manuals both specify 100-120 ft lbs. for the SPL311. I
replaced my seal on my '67-1600 after referring to these manuals.
However, information regarding the differential seems to be the most
technically described area in a motor vehicle.

It seemed to me that they were suggesting that if the pinion nut was
loosened or removed, it was recommended to: "dismantle, inspect, shim as
neccessary, pre-load/torque interior components, check backlash, and finally
torque the pinion nut the prescribed 100-120 ft lbs.

Needless to say I was paranoid to touch the damn thing! So, before
loosening, I
made reference marks on the nut and the exposed threads and also where the
cotter
key was placed. After seal replacement, torquing with a beam torque wrench
120#'s put the nut exactly where it was originally.

I hope that procedure was okay, if not I hope the list points it out before
I get this thing driving.
Mike Hudson  '67-1600