Suggestions for good autox car

To: datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Suggestions for good autox car
From: "gregs672liter@netzero.com" <gregs672liter@netzero.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 06:42:57 GMT
Greetings mighty list.  OK, I am looking for some opinions here, and you can
respond direct.  As some of you know, I am a Life Coach (kind of like a
Therapist but without the mental illness part) and do most of my work with
teens.  A new program that I am starting is a car/coaching program that uses
cars as a real world exercise in problem solving and planning (anyone who has
worked on a car or restored one knows what I am talking about!).  Part of the
program will involve obtaining and modifying a street car for autox fun runs...
nothing serious here, and hopefully the kids will get to run the car 4 or 5
times during the 4 month program.  Now, I am no expert by any stretch on
setting up a car for racing, but I figure I can learn anything and hey, that is
part of the program.  I am looking for suggestions on a car that meets the
following parameters:  1) inexpensive, 2) simple in design, 3) parts are
available at reasonable cost, 4) good basic design in the first place, 5) looks
kinda cool, or can be made to.  Being a Datsun/Nissan guy, I immediately
thought of a 240z, a 510, or a 610.  While I do have a Roadster in pieces, this
is gonna be the V6 turbo car and let's face it, Roadster parts can be expensive
and harder to find in the junk yard.  Other cars I have thought of are a first
generation MR2, early RX7 (though I know nothing about rotary engines, a friend
of mine does), early Toyota Celica or Corolla, and an MG of some sort
(inexpensive?).  I would like to stay away from a highly computerized car, and
I want rear drive.  Something easy to learn on, and fun to drive.  OK, so there
it is... suggestions?  Thanks!
Greg Burrows, M.S.