Re: Gas Gauge issue

To: James Forte <james@travelinman.com>
Subject: Re: Gas Gauge issue
From: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 15:47:46 -0500
James,

There is an instrument voltage regulator under the dash, usually right
behind the dash, on the right side of the steering column. It is a small
metal box, about 3/4"x1-1.2", with a mounting bracket on it that needs
to be grounded to work correctly. It has 2 wires connected to it. The
rivets that connect the pins to the internals often get corroded, making
intermittent contact. It is also possible the two wires that connect to
it are not making good contact. Try cleaning the 2 pins and connections
and see if that helps. Make sure to get the wires back on the terminals
they are on now, it DOES make a difference!  If this does not fix the
problem, the regulator is available from our vendors and the dealer.
Last time I bought one it was about $20.

If you can solder electronics, you can clean up the pins and rivets and
solder them together, both inside and outside the regulator. I've never
seen it, but it is possible that the contacts inside may need to be cleaned.

This regulator is only used for the fuel and temp guages.

Peace,
Pat