Re: re-awaken from hibernation, temp sender grounding wire?

To: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Subject: Re: re-awaken from hibernation, temp sender grounding wire?
From: "Stephen Wan" <Steve@olsonarchitect.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 08:36:59 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 5:20 AM

> So, my wonderful wife gave me a 'garage pass' for a couple hours to run
> in my car (car wash, tire pressure check, spirited drive followed by
> leaking fluid check) after its hibernation (sitting since Sept getting
> alt swapped).
> Man oh man I missed those spirited drives, I came home and looked like
> the lil' fella on the Lucky Charms ad for about 10 minutes!

Wow, I guess having a new member of the family really takes all your
attention.

> One question:  (okay 2)
> The PO had installed a secondary grounding wire from the temp gauge
> threaded plug (sorry, bad terminology) with a hose clamp.  I haven't
> re-attached it yet and can't remember how it went.  Was he grounding the
> brass temp sender base, or the temp sender wire connection (this would
> make no sense) or the water neck?

I think the additional ground wire was to provide a better ground for the
sender unit.
Assuming that the wire was hose clamped to the sender unit and grounded
elsewhere to the engine or body.

> Can you tell I am electrically illiterate?
> Also, driving in this morning I had one (right side) dim headlight, and
> figured I might have cooked it while running on low voltages way back in
> August.  Then I noticed the high beam light was glowing on the dash.  I
> clicked them on high, that lite stayed dim.  Then ~ half way to work, I
> hit a bump and BRIGHT LIGHTS, and the high beam light goes off.  Bad
> ground at the headlight bucket?  Other ideas?

I think your headlight relay may be sticking or it could be a bad ground as
you say.
More likely a corroded connector.

On the topic of fun runs.
There is a mercedes turned all makes (BMW, SRT-4, Ferrari) this saturday at
Fashion island.
http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=101212&page=42&pp=10
Best part is that they're taking a run up PCH up to Malibu and back down to
huntington beach.
I can't decide whether to bring the Volvo S60R or the roadster (nicer drive,
but feel like the underdog)

Steve
70'1600