A bad week

To: Roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: A bad week
From: Kevin Koskela <kkoskela@mlode.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 16:16:54 +0100
Thanks for all the responses on where to get parts for my 1600 that overheated a
couple of weeks ago.  I took the car down to my mechanic I've been using for the
last ten years and unfortunately, the engine overheating did some big time
damage.  The head has warped about 18 thousandths (which he says is a lot) and
the head gasket blew in between cylinders 2 and 3 and it looks like the pistons
may have been damaged by the coolant that got into the cylinders.  To top it off
my hard drive crashed yesterday and I lost all my personal emails that weren't
backed up, including all the great responses on where to get parts.

So, time to start over I guess.  I have an engine from another 1600 under my
house that I got from the previous owner of my car.  I was thinking that would
be a better engine to start with as far as doing an engine rebuild since I don't
really know they condition of this one.  My car is in Twain Harte (Northern
Cal).  My question is, what is the best way to get the engine rebuilt?  I have
never done an engine rebuild before and I don't know much about engines but
would like to learn.  Should I just take it to a good machine shop and have them
rebuild it?  Does anyone know of a good machine shop here in Northern Ca? I've
been advised that it would be good to find a source for a rebuild kit also that
would include new bearings, value guides, timing chain, etc, etc.  I have a
friend who has volunteered to help me if I want to do the rebuild, but he hasn't
worked on the Datsun's before so I am not sure how to proceed.  Any help and
advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

(disabled 1600 - 67 1/2)