Alternator output verses dash gauge reading

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Alternator output verses dash gauge reading
From: <stebharvey@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:33:46 -0500
Group,

My dash gauge always reads just below the center toward the negative (-)
side. I changed the position of the alternator from lower left side to
the upper right side of the engine this past weekend so I could
troubleshoot the alternator and have it in a more convenient location. I
tried three different original style alternators and all produce the
same effect as before. My volt meter took a turn south so I can't check
the output at the moment. Any ideas what and were I should start looking
for the problem once I have a new meter?

Steve
Milwaukee
P.S. A local auto electrical shop (foreign makes) will check the three
alternator's on his test bench for five bucks each.