1500 with idle problem (idles >3000 rpm!)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: 1500 with idle problem (idles >3000 rpm!)
From: johnsof@aol.com
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 17:44:05 -0400
Hi kids....over the weekend I reinstalled my freshly-rebuilt 1500 engine in my
'64.  No major problems with the reinstall, found some of the items I forgot to
connect properly and then primed it and started the engine...a few cranks and
off she went.  And I mean really off!  The engine will not idle down, it runs
at what appears to be full throttle!  So of course I shut it off...and on a
second or so...and off...etc.

The carbs appear to be functioning properly; the vacuum pistons move freely up
and down, the butterflies are OK, the floats and needles are fine, and so
forth.  I can't really check them when the engine is running as obviously I do
not want to run a brand-new engine at these rpms; however, when it is off the
carbs seem to be fine.

What am I missing?  Is this the worst intake manifold leak possible?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Fred Johnson
WI