Re: Wiper Pivot Arm (was: NOWROC and other questions)

To: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Subject: Re: Wiper Pivot Arm (was: NOWROC and other questions)
From: E Scanlon <escanlon@worldaccessnet.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:35:20 -0700
Pat:

I know that it can seem illogical, and you're both right and wrong.

The ARM itself will continue to rotate about the motor shaft at the same speed,
distance, angle etc and there for it would seem that the wipers should not be
affected by a change in where the arm gets connected to the motor.

However, remember that when the arm connects to the WIPER LINKAGE now you are
taking
circular motion and transferring it 900 via another straight rod in order to
convert
it to clock and counter clock wise movement or forward and back.  If you look
at the
old Steam Locomotives and check out the main steam cylinder connection to the
big
driving wheel, you'll note that for the locomotive to move forward, the rod
from the
cylinder must PUSH along the lower portion of the rotation of the large wheel,
conversely it should PULL on the upper portion if it does this backwards the
locomotive will go in REVERSE.  Well the same thing happens with the wipers.
When in
the proper parked position (at the bottom edge of the windshield) the FIRST
thing
that they should do is LIFT off the bottom.  The rod connecting the motor to the
wiper must first PUSH for the wipers to lift.  If the linkage is 1800 offset on
the
motor, it's first action will be to PULL, which will cause the wiper arms to
wipe the
cowl.

If you choose to do a field test, then please remove the wiper arms and replace
them
with bits of masking tape so that you can still observe the rotation without
damaging
your hood.

If you'd like, I'll post a sketch for it on www.ClassicFairlady.com.