Intake leaks

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Intake leaks
From: "gregs672liter@netzero.com" <gregs672liter@netzero.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 02:12:01 GMT
Hi gang, those of you with the "solex" set up, what is your experience with the
rubber donuts that mount the carbs leaking?  I seem to have an intake leak both
there and at the intake manifold despite my best efforts.  I pulled the donuts,
replaced the gaskets on both sides (had to make the carb side ones but I did a
good job), used a bit of sealer and yet they still seem to leak.  I even coated
the entire rubber unit on the outside with silicone as a precaution (can't see
how it could possibly leak).  I also have a very high quality intake gasket but
I seem to leak there too... will be pulling the intake and trying silicone
there too, but I have not had much luck with it to date.  The leaks are not bad
(engine increases speed if I spray ether at the gaskets) but the car runs like
crap (sputters and pops at 2500 rpm, especially if I am just sligthly off the
gas, jetting helps but not much).  And get this: I thought I had a carb problem
and that I had screwed up my old 48mm Sk racing carbs, so I bought new ones,
and that was not even the problem!  ARGH!.  I have adjusted the valves, checked
timing, separated my ingition wires, checked for consistent spark... I am out
of ideas... any suggestions?  Thanks!
Greg Burrows