Re: shift lever

To: "oliver" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: shift lever
From: RacerY@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 15:42:24 +0000
Answer-
remove the shaft, then get a cheap screwdriver, or a small punch.
Put it halfway into the hole the shaft, then cock it at an angle,  against the
side of the lower bushing,  and push.  If you're lucky and skillful, you'll be
able to get it into the gap between the bushings- but often, there's just no
gap.
The bushings are tapered- one comes in from the bottom of the lever housing,
the other from the top.  If you push the bottom one out, you can then pull out
the top one.
The housing itself is hourglass shaped, so you can't just push 'em both
straight out...

The new ones just sit in place, and are squeezed in by the bolt on the shifter
shaft itself.

I made up nylon replacements, which has improved shifter feel significantly.
Also, through sheer accident, I didn't center the holes in 'em, and that allows
me to rotate the new bushings and adjust the position of the shift lever.
Which is nice...

hth
Toby