The battle continues

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: The battle continues
From: "gregs672liter@netzero.net" <gregs672liter@netzero.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:40:29 GMT
OK gang, still fighting my car.  Questions:  Can you use an early 1600
distributor on a 2000 (I would assume yes, but before I have my friend pull his
I thought I would ask); What would it take to completely run my ignition
separate from all the wiring in the car?  I can imagine that I would need a
separate charged battery, grounded, positive power to a separate ignition
switch (so I could turn the car on and off), then from that switch to a ballast
resister, then to the positive on the coil, then (assuming points dizzy) from
the negative to the distributor.  That should work, right (assuming that I just
leave the current ignition switch wired in to switch on the starter motor
only)?  I should be able to run the car off a good battery without an
alternator for a while, right?  And I could always hook up a battery charger to
keep it alive.  What I am trying to do is to separate the ignition system from
any other part of the car as a test... yes, it has gotten that desperate.
Also, I lost my manual for my multi-meter... can someone tell me how to set it
to test for continuity?  And what symptoms would be present if I had a bad
ground (i.e. dim lights, weak spark?).  Damn I hate electricity!  Thanks again
Greg Burrows