New York City weather (was "RE: Katrina")

To: "'datsun-roadsters'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: New York City weather (was "RE: Katrina")
From: "Pete Peters" <ppeters914@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:07:08 -0700
Well, not hurricane weather, but.... STORY TIME! <g>

Last August, my brother bought a '77 BMW motorcycle from someone on Long
Island, and I volunteered to pick it up and ride it to Madison, WI. Just as
I'm leaving (about 4pm), the clouds roll in and there's a torrential rain
dump. Of course, I don't have my rain gear on -AND- the bike decides to die
right at the stop sign. Roll that puppy under a friendly apartment canopy to
diagnose the problem (negative battery cable bolt loose), and continue
getting soaked as the rain is blowing sideways.

Put my rain gear on, stop for gas, take the wrong exit and go north instead
of south. Bumper-to-bumper until I get past Yankee Stadium and I find an
exit that'll let me cross and get back south. Still sprinkling and the bike
running so-so since it's been sitting for months.

That was a cold 'n' wet ride until I stopped in Nowhere, PA. The next day
started cool, but became warm and sunny. Bike was enjoying having the
cobwebs blown out and purring at 85mph, so went the remaining 700+ miles to
make it to Madison in one day.

Oh, yeah, Chicago traffic sucks....

                        `  ___  '
Pete                   -  (O o)  -