Successful Windshield Removal!

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Successful Windshield Removal!
From: "jm.rider@verizon.net \(Jon and Maggie Rider\)"
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 21:06:29 -0800
Hey,

I just wanted to say thanks for excellent advice from all of you.  I was
able to remove the window in about 40 minutes with little or no obvious
damage to the rubber or window.  For the most part, I used two (2) 1 inch
wood chisels.  I found that a broad flat screwdriver worked best at the
corners.  I also wrapped 2 inch blue tape around the end of the window to
avoid scratching it if I slipped with a chisel.  I was glad I did because I
did slip a few times.  I found it easiest to use the beveled side of the
chisel to essentially push the rubber to the point where the chisel edge
slid over the metal lip. Using this method, I never took the chance of
chipping the window edge.  After only a very short distance, I was able to
push the rubber that was just over the lip now down further such that it
wouldn't fall back into it's original position.  It worked slick.  Prior to
doing anything, I also decided it would be best to heat the whole assembly.
It's only about 45 degrees in my garage and things were pretty stiff.  This
was easy in my case as the car has been mostly stripped except for the dash.
I placed a Mister Heater - one of those small radiant heaters that attaches
to a propane tank - inside the car about 2 feet from the windshield for
about 15 minutes.

Once again, thanks to all of you who responded.  I must say that I missed
not being able to communicate with all you folks.  I think it was a glitch
in their automated system.  Finally was able to figure out how to cancel and
then resubscribe.  I'm glad I did!

Jon
Bothell, WA