Re: Running hot/ timing map

To: "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Running hot/ timing map
From: "Daryl Smith" <drlsmith@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 20:55:55 -0800
Well we had a break in the rain and I got the car out and ran it with the
"new" rad.
Worked fantastic. Temperature cycled between 180 and 190 deg with the electric
fan on.
So I guess my timing map isn't too far off.

On the not so good side, I couldn't get a decent idle. I think it is the rear
carb as adjusting the
 rear mixture nut seems to make little difference in how the car runs. I can
get a steady but
rough idle on the front carb when lifting the rear piston. But lifting the
front piston (in the carb) kills
the engine no matter the setting of the rear mixture nut.
Both throttle shafts seem in good shape with no noticeable play, spraying the
shafts
with carb cleaner while running has no effect.

I will also check the spark next time for cyl 3 & 4, (but since they are
paired 1,4 and 2,3 in the wasted
spark system they "should" be good). Possible bad wire or spark plug......

On the positive side, throttle response was very crisp and the engine sounded
very good.

My bad, my VR sensor mount on the timing cover leaked oil like a sieve. ( Bad
idea to mount it there....)
( bolts on holes drilled and tapped through the timing cover ) I'll have to
figure out how to seal that up properly.
Any suggestions? Loc-Tite?

Will try to fix/check what I can next weekend and have another go at running
it. If I can't get the idle sorted
quickly, easily, I'll be switching to efi sooner than planned (Going to be
done anyway and the parts are all
here ready and waiting).

Cheers
Daryl