Re: the new and improved forced induction......

To: Craig Halsted <chalsted@adelphia.net>, alp <akarcioglu@telus.net>
Subject: Re: the new and improved forced induction......
From: Andy Cost <andycost@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 21:04:15 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
Interesting enough, I found that blower over Thanksgiving.  I think the biggest
problem with daddy's setup is the extention cord.  You can only go real fast
for 50' or you have to carry a generator on a little trailer behind the car.

I am an expert when it comes to blowers and have a lot f research time invested
in leaf blowers.  At work I blow up windows with air pressure and we have a
portable test kit to test installed windows.  I am always on the lookout for a
better blower that fits my test kit specifications.

The basic problem with any type of blower is the efficiency range.  They will
either make a lot of air flow like a box fan or they make a lot of pressure
like an air compressor pump.  Getting a blower that makes decent pressure and
flow is the hard part.  There is generally a chart that is supplied with a
blower which shows air flow versus pressure and the higher the pressure goes
the lower the air flow.  One of the most powerful leaf blowers available is the
TORO 51598 which I highly reccommend.  It flows around 385 cfm at 41 inches of
water column.  It really can't make much more pressure or air flow.  For the
inquisitive that equals about 0.3psi of boost.  The gas leaf blower in the
video probably doesn't have any more cfm or pressure.  The Honda probably can
inhale 200 cfm at 7000 rpm so the leaf blower would not pose a significant
restriction in the intake.  I beleive that it could add a little power but the
inability of the blower to acheive more than 0.3 psi boost is the limiting
factor.  I suspect that the test results were skewed.  It looked to me as if
the horsepower and torque curves didn't cross at 5252 which indicates a
doctored dyno graph.  There were probably some differences between running with
and without the air box.  Another puzzling thing is that there was no mention
of fuel injection computer tinkering.  I've been learning with my supercharged
KA. You can't just slap on a blower and make more power.  The factory fuel
injectors can only spray so much gas and then the pistons melt.

Later,

Andy