Re: Head thickness specs/ overheating

To: <tputland@charter.net>, "datsun-roadsters: autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: Head thickness specs/ overheating
From: RacerY@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 17:15:09 +0000
Don't cry yet-
does the car run to 5000 rpm?

When I bought mine, the head was cut so much that it only made it to 3000- the
pistions were slapping
it so hard it couldn't get going much faster.  But it ran plenty cool.

Start with the basics- does the radiator get hot?  The top tank should get nice
and toasty (180)
and the bottom should be just warm.  Spend $50 on one of those infrared
thermometers-
this is one of the things they're really useful for.  They also make a nice
check of your temp gauge!

If the radiator's hot (over 140-150) at the bottom, then it's time to start
looking at things
like mixture, (richen it) timing, (err... phooey, I think advancing it helps,
but I don't remember) head gasket seal
and yes, compression ratio.

But I'll wager that something else is going on, and you're not getting enough
coolant...

hth,
Toby

From: <tputland@charter.net>