[Roadsters] FW: Engine Swaps - (hypothetical at this point)

To: "'datsun-roadsters: autox.team.net'"
Subject: [Roadsters] FW: Engine Swaps - (hypothetical at this point)
From: "Matthew A. Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 09:05:08 -0400
Hi All,
I've begun pricing KA's and 240SX's. Do you have any idea of the "normal"
lifespan of a KA engine? This info wasn't readily available on 311s.org (I
looked this time). For example, conventional wisdom used to prevail that an
American motor's lifespan was approx 120 - 130 thousand miles before it was
about shot and in desperate need of a rebuild. It now seems that many
Japanese cars still run fine at 150 - 200 thousand miles. Should I be
looking for one with <120 thou, <100 thou, <80 thou? Below that, the prices
really seem to go up. I would assume that it's mostly because the car that
the engine comes with is in much nicer condition.
I'm hoping that when I'm ready to purchase one, that I can find one that was
crushed from the rear with <50 thousand miles! Of course, if it's crushed
from the front, I have a reason to buy a plasma cutter!!!! WooHoo!
BTW,
Pat has also asked for the swap info that I'm looking for. I've forwarded
your replies to him, but if there is more input on the subject, would you
mind copying Pat Horne @ roadsters@hornesystemstx.com?

Luvin' You!
Matt Smith
(and Loreli - She's a '70 Silver Solex -  undergoing a major wiring upgrade
this week. I love the smell of rosin core solder in the morning!)