Re: [Roadsters] 5 speed transmission help

To: <toolmansj2@comcast.net>, roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 5 speed transmission help
From: "robert k. smith" <rksmith46@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 18:51:58 -0400
hi shaun, you should be able to see splines on the
5th gear somewhere.(probably have to have it off
the main shaft), or welds if it has been welded.
i would put in 1st and 2nd gear synch. at the least.
 they always wear soonest. im not sure you can
look at the synch. and tell if they are bad enough
to grind the gears. dont forget to replace the roll
pins on the shift forks. use either double thick
pins or new (or good) stock, roll pins and drive
the solid end of a 3/32 drill bit inside the stock
pin and break it off flush.  about 5th gear:
i think you can look at the next line outside of the
inside brg. race; it should be splined to the
gear part, or welded,(if repaired already).
try to use as many of the seals in the kit as poss.
 especially the front main shaft and  rear shifter
 rod seals.
   best of luck, bob smith,ohio
       1969 srl311
>>> From: toolmansj2@comcast.net> To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net> Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2007 20:22:21 +0000> Subject: [Roadsters] 5 speed transmission
help> > I currently have my 5 speed completly apart to install new bearings 2
things came to mind!> > 1. How can I tell if the syncros are worn out or need
to be replaced? I dont want to just buy new ones just because, they are not
cheap. This tranny is a borg warner type with brass syncros out of a late 69
model. > > 2. What part of the 5th gear should be welded I cant see anything
that would break loose. I dont have a bad one to compare to.> > Any help with
these questions will be appreciated> Thanks Shaun Tracy Ca>