Re: [Roadsters] Tailpipe backfiring when shut off

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>, "Al Boettcher" <datsunsports@rogers.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Tailpipe backfiring when shut off
From: "Mike H." <twobeaners@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 22:02:05 -0600
Hi Al,
Thanks for your reply.

Thats' what I was thinking too. I run a "Boone" EI Distributor, so it's not
a points issue. Plugs at this point show a light tan/grey color, this is
what I have assumed for the last 40 years to mean a balanced fuel mixture.
It does seem to run smoother, and at a faster idle, at another 1/4  turn
leaner on the mixture nuts. It will run up to 90 mph without any hesitation
or high speed miss. When I look at the plugs using this leaner mix, they are
a lighter, almost white color, but no specks or evidence of excessive
heating that most sources say  would mean it's "too lean". I've heard that
these engines like to run lean, but I've also heard of several people who
have melted pistons, and warn against excessively lean mixtures. I've always
thought if you're running too lean, the engine will start to miss at higher
loads. ???
Mike