Re: [Roadsters] Group 53 battery price going through the roof

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Group 53 battery price going through the roof
From: Patti Dwinell <fairlady1964spl310@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 21:44:22 -0800 (PST)
Neil,
If the group 53 is what I think it is, it is the same battery I have to have
for under the back seat in my 64.
I paid $160 for one...two actually, because the first one wouldn't even hold a
charge. The second one died...had a bad cell after 18 months. (Hmmmm, see a
pattern here?)  I decided not to even bother with Gardena batteries again.  A
month or so ago, I found one at "Batteries Plus" for $80.  They are not cheap
and getting hard to find here in Orange County.  If you don't drive the car
much, I highly recommend getting one of those  "battery tenders" to
automatically keep it fully charged, like I did...finally.  If you do not have
to have the 53, I'd vote to change it.  Isn't your battery located under the
hood?
Patti

Neil Levine <nalevine@dcn.org> wrote: Hi All,

I just had my group 53 battery fail in my '66 1600 after about 17 months. It
had a 40 month warrantee so I didn't think I'd have to pay that much to
replace it prorated. Wrong. It cost me over $80 here in Sacramento and I was
told they charge $137 for them new now. You know, the price of lead has
quadrupled, blah blah blah. 17 months ago they were about $80 new which I
thought was high then. Anyway any suggestions on changing over to a newer
type battery that might cost less? I really don't want to move the battery's
location. I'm sure someone has done this already. Thanks....

Neil

1966 SPL311-06576
http://mail.yahoo.com