Re: [Roadsters] Radio console setup

To: "Gary Tew" <garytew@cox.net>, "datsun list datsun"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Radio console setup
From: "Tom @ Datsun2000" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 08:56:48 -0800
Gary,

It sounds like you have it right about a straight wire between the control
lever and the heater box doors and heater valve.

If your cables are stiff, or you need to make custom length cables, here is
how I made new cables for Mr. Hyde.

I went to my local bicycle shop and purchased 1.8mm ID flexible tubing they
use to house the brake and gear change cables.  They sell this housing by
the foot.  Then I went to a hobby shop and purchased a standard cut length
of 0.055" control wire, which is the same diameter Datsun used for the
heater controls.  This is a very hard, stiff wire that slides very easily
inside of the bicycle control housing.  This combination is really much
better than the original heater control cables and fits all of the original
mounts.

I used two pairs of pliers to make the Z bends at the end of the wire.
Someone on the list recommended heating the wire after bending to release
the tension so the wire is less likely to break at the bends at some time
down the road.

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
 Portland