Re: [Roadsters] 68-70 soft top frame question - dial up users,

To: " Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 68-70 soft top frame question - dial up users,
From: "dave" <daveandlindab@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 22:11:31 -0500
Were it me, I would get the top to line up and clamp properly without the
weatherstrip, and then try with it.  If you paid someone to install this,
let them deal with it or get a refund.
I don't know how much the seal would affect clamping of the top, unless it
was so thick the clamp never really can get proper tension. I'm sure every
car varies, but my 69 has no seal at all, and the top clamps tight and stays
tight.  Fastest speed with the top up was maybe 80-85 mph with no seal, and
on another day  I was doing 65-70 in violent thunder storm with probably 40
- 45 mph winds from variable directions,   I had a rolled up paper shop
towel as a seal and it wasn't tight in there at all, top never moved or
popped a clamp. Didn't get wet either,love the low tech stuff. Over a really
bad bump, one of the side clamps might pop, but they are not under a lot of
tension.
 Any over-center clamp will work properly if at the "hard spot" before it
flips and locks there is zero slack.  It can't flip back through it. The
locating pin is important to achieve this, as fore and aft alignment will
affect the latch, especially if the top is too far forward in relation to
the windshield.

Now this may all change for me when I put the weatherstrip in if it really
is that thick.

Dave Brisco