[Roadsters] REMOVING Short Wheelstuds.

To: "'Matthew A. Smith'" <matthews517@earthlink.net>, "'Mike H.'"
Subject: [Roadsters] REMOVING Short Wheelstuds.
From: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:16:28 +1030
--===============1262689158==

"Mike,
Great info you provided there. Thank you!!!
Have your impact wrench and a BFH (Big F'n Hammer) ready when you do the
fronts. Those bolts holding together the hub tend to be TIGHT!!!! A
hydraulic press is in my "tools wish list"."

Also, I have found a Ball Joint Separator tool ideal for pressing out wheel
studs.
I mean the screw type not the dreaded pickle fork.
Leave a factory type nut on the stud with the flat side flush with the end
of the thread.
Position the BJS and wind it up to apply a good deal of compression.
Then gently tap the tool to give a shock to the threaded end of the stud and
it will start to move out of the hub.
Retighten the tool and repeat the process and the stud will just fall out.
Interestingly one of my Nissan FSMs list a tool just like a BJS for removing
studs.
When you insert the new stud, use an old factory wheel nut to pull it into
the hub.
Wind it on with the flat facing the hub and the taper facing out.
You will need a few washers or a spacer to allow the nut to bottom out on
the hub face.
Depending on the length of the new studs, you may need to remove the front
hubs and extract the rear axle to gain enough room to insert the longer
studs.

6:39 PM