Re: [Roadsters] Alternator wobble

To: <cookefam314@gmail.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Alternator wobble
From: Linda J <ljordan704@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 14:47:22 -0700
 just had my Mitsubishi alternator rebuilt, though I am still trying to
troubleshoot a wiring issue.From the 311 list I found this post from a
member:Front bearing brandname TNT, number 6203LU. Rear bearing is brandname
KOYO, number 6201RSThe bearings will suit both the 1600 and 2000s alternator
covers and rotor shafts.A bearing company can cross check the numbers. I got 2
bearings ,around 5 dollars ea ? and had the rebuilder put them in. You could
probably do the work yourself though.Brushes are also available.Good
luckLinda

> Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 12:51:14 -0500
> From: cookefam314@gmail.com
> To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
> Subject: [Roadsters] Alternator wobble
>
> So, I noticed that my fan belt was a bit loose on my 68 1600, so I
tightened
> it. Now the alternator makes a scraping sound. Upon closer inspection, I
can
> now clearly see the problem. The alternator fins are wobbling & hitting the
> face of the alternator casing. The alternator pulley is also wobbling. So,
> tightening the belt just put torque on the pulley & now it rubs on the
> casing. I checked the nut on the face of the pulley & it seems to be tight,
> so maybe the alternator bearings have gone bad.  I checked the Rock Auto
> parts section & they list 3 parts for the alternator, a "Alternator
> Rectifier", an "Alternator Drive End Bearing" & a "Alternator Commutator
End
> Bearing", Is this an easy fix or am I destined for a new $185 alternator?
My