[Roadsters] Fiberglass Composite Springs

To: Datsun Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] Fiberglass Composite Springs
From: Daryl Smith <drlsmith@dccnet.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 20:55:44 -0700
Composite Springs arrived Sept. 10th.
According to my digital bathroom scale (which measured a new stock spring at 22
lbs) these springs weigh in at 7.1 lbs each!
Have some work to do tho, the supplied bushings are too wide and made for a
1/2" bolt whereas ours are 12mm........

Still working on the bushing issue. The 'eye' piece at the ends FAF sent to
Scott and myself are a 2" od piece, which has some clearance issues (some minor
grinding for room).
When I asked Mark at FAF about it, he told me they had a smaller 'eye' at 1.5"
with a 1" hole for the bushing, which I think we might be able to use stock
bushings on......maybe......
He is sending the 1.5" eyes to me so I can check it out and possibly change
them. I'm waiting for those to arrive.
If they fit the stock bushings, fitting the springs should be a simple bolt in
operation.
BUT, when I measured the opening on the rear of a stock spring it was almost
exactly 25mm, 1" = 25.4mm, so I'm not sure if that will be a close enough
tolerance.
There is the possibility that a competition urethane setup might work. I think
the front press in bushing might be too big tho......

Anyone have a measurement on that front bushing on the leaf spring?

The alternative is to have him turn some bushings in Delrin @ $45 extra and
make a 12mm sleeve to fit the bushings ourselves/possibly have the holes made
to fit our stock sleeves......or some other solution with common parts if we
can find them. (FAF doesn't have any sleeves to fit a 12mm bolt)

I may make the springs work as I have them, because I'm not sure about removing
the 'eye' and replacing it myself, possibly having to drill new mounting holes
which I think would weaken the spring at the ends.........I was adamant about
sending them back when discussing it this past weekend, but am
re-considering.....

As it is now, I'm looking for some 1.5" od bushings to fit a 2 3/8" wide eye,
between a mount that is 2 1/2" wide, with a steel sleeve to fit a 12mm
pin.......Any Leads?

As soon as I have the required parts, I will install the springs and measure
the ride height etc. and post it. Bug me in about a week if I haven't posted
anything.

Daryl
ps: Not having any luck with my ignition system. No spark. Aarggghhhh! Wanted
to  get it to the meet on Sunday, but doesn't look like it'll happen.........

pps: At this point I have to apologize to Dieter Cramer, who was giving me
advice on where to get the parts to fit my springs as they are, but I was
determined that they were going back to get the 1.5" eye, and I wasn't very
nice about it. My apologies Dieter. I knew when I left that I didn't handle it
well. Hopefully I'll be somewhat more reasonable and calm next time  something
like this comes up.