Re: [Roadsters] Gasoline and running hot

To: David Boerst <dboerst@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Gasoline and running hot
From: Pat Horne <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 19:43:44 -0500
I much rather troubleshoot a problem rather than shot gun it.

When I had problems like this while out of town I stopped at a local
parts house and purchased a tee that fit the fuel line, some fuel line
and a fuel pump/vacuum gauge. I first attached the gauge to a vacuum
line and put the gauge on the outside of the windshield. Drove ff down
the highway and when the engine started bogging down, compared the
reading to what it was when the engine was running good. That did not
show any difference, so I moved the gauge to the fuel line between the
fuel pump and carbs. The fuel pressure dropped just before the engine
bogged down. I next moved the gauge to the inlet to the fuel pump and
headed off again. This time the gauge started to pull a vacuum before
the the engine bogged down, telling me the problem was in the tank, or
the line from the tank to the fuel pump. Turned out that a P.O. had
added a fuel filter by the fuel tank and it was plugged. Replaced the
filter and the problem went away.

Is your car a 66? The 70 and I think some of the 69 cars had emission
control systems installed int he trunk. They needed a sealed gas cap,
while the earlier ones are vented. If your car is really a 66 it should
have a vented cap.

Hope that helps.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake David Boerst, On 9/16/2009 5:24 PM:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001