[Roadsters] Lifter noise, oil, and ZDDP additives

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] Lifter noise, oil, and ZDDP additives
From: Eric Gillis <mkiisupra@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 18:29:23 +0000
Well David's posting filled the bandwidth for a couple of days.  That reminded
me of a conversation I had with someone up in Shasta this summer.  I was told
to put diesel oil in the car (with new rebuild) to address the issue of flat
tappet damage.  This original post got me to a searchin the 'net for
information about the lack of ZPPD in modern oils.  As others have suggested,
do a search to see how others with older engines are dealing with this issue.

Several sites suggested using specific oils, making blends (same weight) with
oils containing ZPPD, etc. I had just finished the first oil change since
rebuild of my R16 and wanted to address the issue proactively and looked for
an additive to put in the new oil in the crankcase.  I used Lucas Break-In
with TB Zinc Plus to top off the fill.

When searching I found that the lack of ZPPD was more of a concern for new
cams/tappets as they haven't gone through several heat/wear cycles and may be
harmed with oils lacking ZPPD (according to conventional/majority wisdom).  At
$15 a bottle and a smell that makes gear oil smell like roses, I tried it.  My
rebuild used the same cam and may have new tappets, I have to check.  Just
wanted to report what I did, I felt using diesel-designed oils (as did many
others with older engines) may add other additives that may not be compatible
with a gas engine (no evidence here, just a 'hunch').  Synthetics are pricey,
to say the least.

On a side note, one Mustang board had a question about a 69 240z (LHD) and
whether it was worth it to restore, only needed an interior and paint.  The
messages suggested that it wasn't special and should have a V8 put in to it.
Sigh, maybe I should put up a post of how a 65 350GT Shelby looks and works
better with a RB26dett (a la Tokyo Drift) ;)

Eric G

> Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 12:22:54 -0700
> From: dboerst@yahoo.com
> To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
> Subject: [Roadsters] Lifter noise
>
> Are the lifters on the 1600 Mechanical or Hydraulic? The engine makes a
fairly loud tick-tick-tick. Not a main or rod bearing thud type sound. has
great oil pressure but seems to run a little hot. I live in Arizona so....