Re: [Roadsters] Seatbelts

To: datsun <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Seatbelts
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 08:31:37 -0500
IIRC, there was a clip holding the shoulder belt roughly shoulder high
on the 2000 we bought new in '70. No, it wouldn't have done any good,
but remember that occupant safety technology was still in its infancy
back then. I've thought about fabricating a bar to fit across the
package tray, anchored with tabs fastened to the two shoulder belt
bolts on the rear wheel wells. It would only be useful to help keep
you in the seat during "spirited" driving. Wouldn't really help with
the potential spinal compression issue.

Realistically, if you get into a serious accident in one of these
small cars, surviving and avoiding serious injury is more about luck
than the crash worthiness of the cars.

Ron

> Peter

> Shoulder belts are PERFECT, but if the anchor point is LOWER than one's
> shoulder then there is a danger of spinal compression upon impact where the
> body 'lifts' itself into the restraint. Full restraint where the body is
> anchored into the seat and there is no rotation is fine. But in the standard
> roadster setup, if the shoulder belt is anchored into the 'baggage'
> compartment then compression will occur. If anchored 'high' into the roll bar
> then one only has to worry about rotation - which the seat belt will stop.
Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $16.00
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive